My current research interests include close relationships (jealousy, love), service learning, civic engagement in higher education, family issues, and the evaluation of social, education and health programs. I have been involved in the development, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs. My work as Executive Director of the IUPUI Center for Service and Learning has resulted in numerous national recognitions for the campus and myself. For my scholarship on service learning and civic engagement, I was awarded the Ehrlich Faculty Award for Service Learning and was recognized at the International Service-Learning Research Conference for his outstanding contributions. I was the Volunteer of the Year in 2001 for Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis. The University of the Free State, South Africa, awarded me an honorary doctorate for my scholarly work on civic engagement and service learning.
- Close Relationships
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Bringle, R. G., & Duffy, D. K. (Eds.). (1998). With service in mind: Concepts and models for service-learning in psychology. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education.
- Bringle, R. G., Games, R., & Malloy, E. A. (Eds.) (1999). Colleges and universities as citizens. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Bringle, R. G., Hatcher, J. A., & Jones, S. G. (Eds.). (2010). International service learning: Conceptual frameworks and research. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Bringle, R. G., Hatcher, J. A., & Jones, S. G. (Eds.). (2011). International service learning: Conceptual frameworks and research. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Bringle, R. G., Phillips, M., & Hudson, M. (2004). The measure of service learning: Research scales to assess student experiences. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Clayton, P. H., Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (Eds.). (2013). Research on service learning: Conceptual frameworks and assessment. Vol. 2A: Students and faculty. Arlington, VA: Stylus.
- Clayton, P. H., Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (Eds.). (2013). Research on service learning: Conceptual frameworks and assessment. Vol. 2B: Communities, institutions, and partnerships. Arlington, VA: Stylus.
- Bringle, R. G. (1995). Sexual jealousy in the relationships of homosexual and heterosexual men: 1980 and 1992. Personal Relationships, 2, 313-325.
- Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (2000). Institutionalization of service learning in higher education. Journal of Higher Education, 71(3), 273-290.
- Bringle, R. G., Hatcher, J. A., & Muthiah, R. (2010). The role of service-learning on retention of first-year students to second year. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 16(2), 38-49.
- Bringle, R. G., & Steinberg, K. (2010). Educating for informed community involvement. American Journal of Community Psychology, 46, 428-441.
- Bringle, R. G., Winnick, T. A., & Rydell, B. J. (2013). The prevalence and nature of unrequited love. SAGE Open, 3(2).
- Clayton, P. H., Bringle, R. G., Senor, B., Huq, J., & Morrison, M. (2010). Differentiating and assessing relationships in service-learning and civic engagement: Exploitive, transactional, and transformational. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 16(2), 5-21.
- Laythe, B., Finkel, D., Bringle, R. G., & Kirkpatrick, L. A. (2002). Religious fundamentalism as a predictor of prejudice: A two-component model. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 41, 623-635.
- Rydell, R. J., & Bringle, R. G. (2007). Differentiating reactive and suspicious jealousy. Social Behavior and Personality, 35(8), 1099-1114.
- Rydell, R. J., McConnell, A. R., & Bringle, R. G. (2004). Jealousy and commitment: Perceived threat and the effect of relationship alternatives. Personal Relationships, 11, 451-468.
- Bringle, R. G. (2005). Designing interventions to promote civic engagement. In A. Omoto (Eds.), Processes of community change and social action (pp. 167-187). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Bringle, R.G. (1995). Romantic jealousy. In M. G. Flaherty & C. Ellis (Eds.), Social perspectives on emotion (Vol. 3, pp. 225-251). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Bringle, R. G., & Rydell, R. J. (2009). Obsessive love. In H. Reis & S. Sprecher (Eds.), Encyclopedia of human relationships. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Plater, W. M., Jones, S. G., Bringle, R. G., & Clayton, P. H. (2009). Educating globally competent citizens through international service learning (pp. 485-505). In R. Lewin (Ed.), The handbook of practice and research in study abroad: Higher education and the quest for global citizenship (pp. 62-74). Florence, KY: Taylor and Francis Books.
- Advanced Technology of Tests and Measurement
- Capstone Laboratory in Social Psychology
- First Year Success Seminar
- Internship in Applied Social Psychology
- Interpersonal Relations
- Introductory Psychology
- Personality Laboratory
- Personality Theories
- Practicum in Applied Social Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Survey of Social and Personality Psychology
Robert G. Bringle
Department of Psychology
222 Joyce Lawrence Lane
PO Box 32109
Boone, North Carolina 28606
- Work: (317) 274-6943
- Home: 317-362-8066
- Mobile: 317-362-8066